06 April 2008

Progress

The house is still in progress, unfortunately. We're making progress, though. We had a great time making the walls - creating a huge pool of mud, adding straw, stomping on it, and then laying it over the walls - a few more iterations of this are still needed. Hopefully this week it will be done, I say for the seventh time.

A nearby community has no water system and is strongly motivated to work for one. To meet their water needs, the locals carry water form water holes. The government office in charge of rural water systems has been unwilling to work much with this community because the identified source provided insufficient flow for the entire community. That is how it has stood for years. On Monday, I went with the community, around 20 men volunteered their time to participate, and we located and measured the flow from all of the sources of which the locals knew. We found more than enough water, and this is the dry season. It was an amazing experience, trekking through thick forest at times, roughly 700 meters up, while working to provide access to safe drinking water for about 200 people.

Meanwhile, I'm helping the local health worker with a vaccination campaign against mumps, and learning that it is quite a logistical challenge to deal with vaccinations in rural areas with no electricity, considering that they need to be refrigerated. Solar panels were recently brought, on loan, to run a refrigerator in the local health center, but that's where it stands - brought. Unfortunately the not-to-be-named did no install it nor advise anyone on its installation. I imagine they will be returning presently to install it.

Pictures: My house (under construction), my hen and chicks, my friends with my motete, my friends.