06 April 2008

A journal entry from Friday 28 December 2007

Something's running around in my room. I check my clock and it's midnight. A plastic bag crackles on the floor, then another on the shelf. I shine my flashlight around, generating more quick sounds of movement and then silence. It's probably a rat. Yesterday Dr. Lourdes sent out an email about a Hanta Virus death in the Province of Veraguas. I live in Coclé. Coclé borders Veraguas. My throat is dry. I turn off my light and get comfortable in bed. What are the symptoms of Hanta Virus? I can't remember exactly what they said. . . I think vomiting was one. My stomach doesn't feel right. . . . And it has something to do with dry areas, right? Something seems to fall off the wall not a foot frommy head, followed by a squeak and quick movement. I get the flashlight again and find a rat tail. No that's an umbrella cord. Why can't I sleep? I don't have to go to the bathroom, there really isn't much noise . . . my stomach is a little queasy and my throat a bit dry. . . am I dying of Hanta Virus? If I vomit then definitely yes. . . Hanta onsets quickly, if I remember medical training correctly . . . something about 15 minutes? Should I call the office now? "I think I'm dying of Hanta Virus," I could say . . . But then what? It's a three hour hike to the hospital. Maybe they could chopper me out more quickly. Where would it land, though. . . . maybe the open land near the school, but that's not very flat. . . probably the pasture and corn field next door. That would be a great story for the locals, "We had a helicopter land on our property to rescue the gringo dieing of the plague." Forget it. I'm going to sleep. I put in my ear plugs so I can't hear whatever it is infecting my room with whatever deadly disease there may be. I hope I don't die of Hanta Virus.